Everyone has their own way in which they express and receive love. According to relationship counselor, Dr. Gary Chapman, there are five love languages: affirmation, quality time, physical touch, acts of service, and gifts (of wine). So, when a guy picks up on my love of wine and surprises me with a bottle…heyyy, now you’re talking my language.
With Valentine’s Day approaching, I thought it was only right to give the guys some advice on how to impress a girl (with wine of course). Why wine? Obviously, women (at least most) enjoy wine (you can thank Olivia Pope for that), but there’s something about a man who knows his wine that’s super sexy and sophisticated. So, slow wine with me for a minute as I drop some gospel on you from the Book of Ty.
- Talk That Talk. You don’t have to be a wine connoisseur BUT knowing more than moscato and reisling will take you places in life, especially if she’s an avid wine drinker. Clueless about wine? Then start off by asking if she likes white or red, sweet or dry. That way you’ll appear to at least know what you’re talking about. If she’s a true wino, she’ll fill in the rest. Just don’t assume that she only likes sweet wines because she’s a girl. #womp
- Order A Bottle. First off, take her on a date to a nice restaurant that isn’t a chain and doesn’t have a drive-thru. :) If you really want to impress her, order a glass bottle of wine for the table. Most guys never order wine at dinner, so that will definitely earn you some cool points. As my favorite friend would say, “Okkkaayyyyy!”
- Surprise Her. There are levels to this piece of advice. First, take note of her interests. If she’s a wino like me, then she probably talks about wine A LOT. If she doesn’t mention her favorite wine, then pay attention to the wine she orders when you’re out. Then surprise her with a bottle of wine you’d think she’d like. Once a guy actually bought my favorite wine (The Doctors’ Sauvignon Blanc), which is only sold at one store in the city. That was one of the most thoughtful things a guy has ever done for me. Trust a bottle of wine goes further than flowers.
- None of That Cheap Stuff. Please don’t buy the following: Sutter Homes, Barefoot, Charles Shaw (aka Two Buck Chuck), Yellow Tail. They’re like the Forever 21’s in the wine industry. Try to spend at least $20 on a bottle. If you’re unsure of what to buy, you can always ask a salesperson at your local wine and spirits store for help. It’s not a deal breaker, but purchasing one of these wines will definitely get you the side eye. #byefelipe
- House of Wines. Keep a bottle of her favorite wine at your house, so that she knows that it’s real. Trust me, this will have her on cloud nine. The same guy who bought my favorite wine would also keep several bottles of it at his house. I’m not stupid. I know that was his way of getting me to come over. Bribing me with wine, eh? Yes, please! ;) Seriously, it was the best and I guarantee your girl will feel the same way.
It’s the little things you do to show interest that count the most. Whether you’re in a committed relationship, starting something new, or have your eye on a special lady, stick with the Book of Ty! You can thank me with wine later…now.