‘Twas the weekend before Summer Solstice and YGOM was having its second summer wine tasting event. This year, we gathered on the rooftop of Aria at Willowick Park to taste an array of summer wines sponsored by Favorite Brands. Guests had the opportunity to try Rosé, sparkling, white, and red wines. Oh, and I can’t forget the sangria snow cones made by my girl Angie. #heygirlhey
Upon arrival, guests were given score cards to rate each wine. I loved that people were taking the judging of these wines pretty seriously. Some a little too serious… *side eye*
Anyways, after tallying up on the scores, the 2016 YGOM Summer Sip Winner is… *Drum Roll Please*
AIX, Coteaux d’ Aix-en-Provence Rosé (2015)
Region: Provence, France | Grapes: Syrah, Cinsault, Grenache, Counoise
I have to agree with my people! AIX (pronounced ‘Ex’) was by far my favorite wine of the night. This Rosé is concentrated with flavors of apple, spice, and citrus that are flanked by plenty of rich, spicy notes, and a creamy finish. Chilled to perfection, I could definitely see my self sipping this Rosé by the pool.
1st RUNNER UP
Villa Rosa, Gavi di Gavi (2015)
Region: Piedmont, Italy | Grape: Cortese
This dry white is fragrant with nuances of apple and melon on the nose. Medium in body, it is complimented with fruit flavors and metal qualities that extend through the crisp, clean finish.
2nd RUNNER UP
Laluca, Prosecco (NV)
Region: Veneto, Italy
You can’t go wrong with this Prosecco! The nose offers up bold orchard fruits, crisp pears, and lemon curd, all of which come together in a rich, creamy off-dry style that is extremely appealing. There is a touch of minerality, playing nicely against the subtle sweetness of the wine. The finish shows excellent length and fine overall balance.
Here’s the complete list of the wines featured at the YGOM Summer Sip:
- Château de Campuget, Costières de Nîmes Blanc Tradition (2014) | Retailer: HEB | Price: $12.99
- AIX, Coteaux d’ Aix-en-Provence Rosé (2015) | Retailer: HEB | Price: $17.99
- Laluca, Prosecco (NV) | Retailer: N/A | Price: N/A
- Le Grand Courtâge, Blanc de Blanc Brut (NV) | Retailer: Spec’s | Price: $17.99
- Saint Clair Family Estate, Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc (2014) | Retailer: Costco | Price: $17.99
- Villa Rosa, Gavi Gavi (2015) | Retailer: Costco | Price: $15.99
- Paco & Lola, Navarra Experience Red | Retailer: N/A| Price: N/A
- Umathum, Mittelburgenland Blaufrämkisch | Retailer: N/A| Price: N/A
This selection was fantastic! I really wanted to challenge my guests palates with wines they were not familiar with. I love that there’s something here for everyone. Plus, all of these wines are affordable!
If you missed the YGOM Summer Sip…no worries! There are more events to come!